Return to News Releases | Return to Newsletter

Highway 152 Project Plans New Bridge Over I-35

February 2018

State and municipal officials are finalizing plans for a new Highway 152 bridge over I-35 in Liberty.

A project scheduled to begin in the spring of 2019 is going to completely replace the Highway 152/Kansas Avenue bridge over I-35 in Liberty.

Carrying heavy traffic from both Liberty and Kansas City and located along a growing retail corridor, the bridge and nearby Highway 152 corridor has become one of the most congested in the Northland. Many area drivers try to avoid the area entirely, although options are limited.

Starting in the spring of next year, Liberty and the Missouri Department of Transportation will begin a project to completely replace the bridge with a 10-lane span and significantly rebuild all of the intersections from the bridge east to Highway 291. The project is expected to be completed in 2020.

The work will include improvements to the interchange at I-35/Route 152, including bridge replacement and ramp extensions, corridor improvements to Kansas Street from the interchange to Route 291 and intersection improvements to Route 291 and Kansas Street, as well as intersections for Connister, Blue Jay and Forrest.

The project will also address bicycle and pedestrian access along the corridor. A multiple-use path along the south side of Route 152 and Kansas Street will extend across the I-35 bridge.

The bridge on Route 152 over I-35 will be closed during the summer of 2019. Lane closures on Kansas Street and Route 291 will be expected during construction.

The project is estimated at $30 million, jointly funded between MoDOT and the cities of Liberty and Kansas City, Mo. MoDOT is expected to fund approximately $15 million; the City of Liberty approximately $5.5 million; the Federal Surface Transportation Fund, $6 million; and Kansas City approximately $1.5 million.

More information, including interactive maps and videos, is available at this link.

Return to News Releases | Return to Newsletter