Return to News Releases | Return to Newsletter

Good News at I-435, Highway 210 for Businesses, Motorists

September 2019

The massive reconstruction of the I-435 and Highway 210 interchange is now complete.

Motorists on Interstate 435 finally have some relief as traffic is now open to three lanes in both directions, according to the Missouri Department of Transportation.

Lanes were restricted for the past two years as part of the Route 210 and I-435 interchange improvement project. The work built a new diverging diamond interchange, including replacement of the old twin bridges over I-435 and Route 210 and widening I-435. 

Speaking of completed projects, the strategic Highway 152 Bridge over I-35 on the western edge of Liberty is complete and open, almost a month ahead of schedule.

Another large project, the work completely replaced the six-lane bridge with a new eight lane bridge AND a three-lane auxiliary bridge. Area work continues on Highway 152/Kansas Avenue to the east.

The road work, from the bridge to Highway 291, includes several major intersections and road widening to match the bridge.

The Route 210 and I-435 interchange serves nearly 100,000 drivers per day. This project enhances the capacity of I-435 by providing three continuous through lanes in each direction throughout the interchange. Prior to the project, there were only two lanes on I-435 between Parvin Road and the Missouri River.

Route 210 is an important freight corridor that serves multimodal freight hubs and was expanded last summer from two lanes to four lanes from Eldon Road to Highway 291. The new interchange accommodates the increased truck and vehicle traffic of Route 210. This project removed two untraditional high-speed ramps, improving safety by providing increased storage and better turning movements. This project also includes the alteration of access at Randolph Road, which will result in fewer traffic signal challenges and improved safety. Construction of the project began in the fall of 2016.

With the above project complete, MoDOT has begun rehabilitating the I-435 Bridge over the Missouri River. The project was originally to have begun after completion of the above work, but was recently delayed until next spring. MoDOT determined the work had the potential for making travel in the area less than ideal during the winter months, especially with snow on the roads. Crews will begin some smaller work on the south end of the bridge that will bring some daily lane closures. There is also work slated for the north end of the bridge on Birmingham St. 

When it does start, the bridge project includes deck replacement, reinforcement of structural steel girders and substructure repairs. Work will also include the extension of the acceleration lane from the Route 210 Interchange to I-435 South. Ramps at Route 210 will remain open during construction, except for possibly brief closures.

For instant updates, follow MoDOT KC on Twitter or share posts and/or comments on their Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/MoDOT.KansasCity.

Return to News Releases | Return to Newsletter